My confirmation verse: "Yeah though I walk through the valley of Death I shall fear no evil, for Thou art with me." A verse I picked at age 12, now applied 50 years later, isn't quite as bright and shiny as when I chose it.
But I am afraid. Fear goads to action, or paralyzes into inaction; fear is rational and irrational. That kind of dichotomy, for me, points to one of life's "Mysteries", those powerful truths beyond the logic of bright sunny days. Mysteries shrouded in the murkier parts of the spirit, but still a critical part of being alive.
Fear goads and paralyzes. I'd opt for the goad, but accept a temporary paralysis, because fear is a process, a movable feast, a waystation on the journey.
I embrace my frightened ten year old, but I'm not ten any more. I have mental and emotional resources now I didn't have then.
Fear is a waystation on the road to hope.
Tuesday, October 7, 2014
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment