- In 2011 I switched jobs, to the best job I'd had in years
- In 2012, I started looking for a surgeon who could fix the scar tissue in my mouth. The scar tissue only allowed me to open my mouth a little, not enough to eat a grape unless I cut it in half.
- In 2013 I had surgery on both sides of the jaw, and also had the scar tissue removed. Months of painful physical therapy followed.
- In preparation for the surgery, since I'd had radiation, I took 30 dives in a hyperbaric chamber, to promote the growth of blood vessels in the radiated area. Unfortunately, that process seems to have permanently damaged my eyes.
- Unfortunately, the surgery site never quite healed...a new cancer spot formed.
- Two more surgeries removed cancer, and also the teeth and bone of my right jaw.
- The cancer came back. My sugeon suggested removing my jaw and the floor of my mouth. But he also said the entire field was active with cancer.
- Further, it looks like this cancer is caused by environmental factors...pesticides, chemicals, etc. in the food. So he recommended I move to a plant-based, no animal product diet like macrobiotics or a vegan diet.
- In May of 2014, I switched cancer doctors, and the new people gave me 12-18 months to live, and said there was no use operating any more, and no way to do more radiation. So, chemo.
- I had chemo all summer of 2014, but it started to fail after Labor Day. Now we are looking at tougher chemo options. And I'm looking at quality of life versus length of life trade offs.
Tuesday, October 7, 2014
Catching up on life events
Wow! The last time I posted was after radiation. A lot has happened since:
Labels:
Cancer
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment