So I got away from SD and went to Tucson for a weekend. Stayed with friends and hiked in the mountains and had a good time. BUT, my friend backed out of her garage and scraped the side of my car. In all the dust, it didn't look too bad. But the autobody places wanted $1500 to repair the scrapes and dents...two doors, each with two panels. Who know?
So my friend said she'd pay,and I took the car in. But Friday she hadn't paid yet, so they wouldn't give me the car, and said they'd call her. Today she still hadn't paid (and who requires faxes of ID cards for credit card purchases anyway) So at 4:20 still no payment. I have a job interview first thing in the a.m. Yeah!
So I got on the phone to the friend, who hadn't made it happen yet. And then drove to the autobody shop, determined to get my car, even if it went on my credit card. After all, it wasn't my fault, and if she really wanted the miles she'd have taken care of this 10 days ago when we discussed it.
I handed them my card, sweet talked them into holding the charge in case she didn't come through. But then the fax rang. She didn't send everything they wanted, but enough that they'd release my car. And the credit went through.
So, much trauma and drama later, and I now have a car in the same shape it was a month ago. All this tsurris to get back to square one.
Now the rest of the story, as Paul Harvey says:
When I discovered how much the repair would cost, I emailed copies of the estimates to my friend. She couldn't believe the price. (Neither could I) I guess a lot of the price is because now they take the whole panel off, apply the bondo, paint it and put the protect coat on, and then send just the panel through the drying process, rather than the whole car like Earl Scheib. And she managed to hit 4 panels in her panicked backup down the driveway.
So she asked for photos. Of course, photos don't do a good job of showing dents and gouges...which is why insurance companies use onsite inspectors. So she's saying that there isn't any significant damage. Even calls the autobody place trying to get them to say it wasn't bad. Besides, I probably already had damaged the car, and was just trying to get her to pay to fix up problems she hadn't caused. Say What? So I'm cheating her and lying to her? Oh no, she's not questioning my integrity, she just thought I was lying to her. ?? I don't get the distinction.
And of course, this shouldn't be handled through insurance because she'd get a ding on her rates. Maybe I could get it paid for by my insurance?
Well she did eventually agree to pay, but by this time the friendship is seriously damaged, and I've had more aggravation.
Seems like par for the course when Job moves to San Diego.
I know, whine,whine,whine.
So, tomorrow I'll ace the job interview, get a really great job at a good rate of pay, and get back to having a normal life.
Hey, it could happen.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment